Swim Meet Information
Meets begin at 8:00 a.m.
Warm up for home meets will be early so the competitors can warmup next. VG Gators Group 1 are in the pool warming up by 6:30 a.m.
Warm up times for away meets is usually 7:30 a.m.
Be on time, this means in the water at the start of warm ups, so that you can get your muscles ready to race.
Swimmers need to see a coach before and after every race. Coaches will be on the deck watching the meet.
Meet Sign Up Information
All parents and swimmers will be notified by email when each meet entry opens and closes. Please make sure swimmers are signed up by the meet entry deadline! Late and/or deck entries are not accepted. Meet sign ups are usually due by noon on the Wednesday before a Saturday meet.
Most meets have a limit per swimmer of 3 individual events + 2 relays. If you have any questions regarding event selection for your swimmer, please feel free to speak with your swimmer's coach. Swimmers are able to choose their relays based on event preference and day of meet availability during meet sign up. Relay options are: Early (medley relay), Late (freestyle relay), Both or None. The early (medley) relay is at the beginning of the meet and the late (freestyle) relay is the towards the end of the meet, before the distance swim events. For example, if you will be arriving late to a meet, please choose the late relay option only. Relay teams are formed by the coaches after meet entry closes. If your swimmer is part of a relay, you will know this when the heat sheets are made available, prior to meet day. An email will be sent notifying you once heat sheets are available on the website.
If VG is hosting the meet: Meet volunteer sign up will open at the same time as meet entry. If you haven’t fulfilled your volunteer points, please sign up to volunteer. Meets run much smoother with adequate volunteer help! To see a list of volunteer positions, please click here and scroll down to swim meet volunteers.
What to Bring to a Swim Meet
Several Towels - 1 for warm-up and another 1-2 for after swimming an event
Sweatshirt, sweat pants or Blanket - to keep warm - it can be quite chilly in the morning!
Sharpie - Parents write the Event # / Heat # / Lane # / Event swimming on a body part of the swimmer’s choice (just make sure it’s visible to swimmer and the clerk) Ex: If event 11 is a 25 backstroke, heat 2, lane 4. Write: E11 / H2 / L4 / 25 back or 11 / 2 / 4 back
Swim Cap - VG team cap or a state meet cap
Goggles - two pairs are good luck - in case one gets misplaced or broken.
Food &/or Concession $$ - swimmers love to snack and healthy choices make for faster swimmers. Teams utilize concessions as a means for raising money for equipment, so support the teams, whenever possible, but always know you may bring your own food too!
Water - even though the swimmers are always drenched, they will still need lots of water to keep their muscles working efficiently.
Chairs - although there are benches and other deck chairs, bringing one for mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, aunty or uncle ensures you’ll always have a (dry) seat.
Games, cards, books - some sort of entertainment to keep swimmers busy and quiet while waiting for their events.
Great supportive attitude - please always to remember to pack this one! Summer swimming is fun for all & we encourage cheering for all swimmers, no matter what team or event!
Meet Day Information
Warmups are 6:30am or 7:00am if VG is hosting the meet. If the meet is away, warmups are generally at 7:30 unless re-informed via email. Maps to most pools are posted on this website. Always check this website or your email for updates prior to the meets or events.
Some helpful tips:
1. Please arrive promptly and have swimmers ready to be in the water at the start of warm ups.
2. Look for our team so we can sit together.
3. Make sure your swimmer has their event number, heat number, lane number and event name written on their arm with a sharpie marker. This information is found on the heat sheets for each meet. If you have questions about this, board members or older swimmers can show you how it's done. If possible, please do this before you arrive at the meet.
4. Swimmers are called to swim by event number. There is a first call and last call for each event to the clerk of course area. Please listen for the first call of each event. At this time, swimmers should make their way to the clerk of course area with their cap and goggles. Your swimmer will check in with the clerk and be seated in their appropriate heat and lane to wait for their event to begin.
5. Event results will be posted at the meet as time allows. Results will also be posted on the VG website on the Meet Schedule page as a PDF link within the next 2-5 days.
6. If your swimmer receives a ribbon for an event (usually given for 1st-3rd place), ribbons are available for pickup at practice in the swimmer file boxes.